Journey to Work (DVD and streaming licence)
Journey to Work shows a number of students as they prepare for life after university. The students talk about their career ambitions and what they have already done to maximise their chances of getting a job they want. They receive tips from careers advisers and industry mentors and are helped to see the value of networking.
We then meet them again a few months later to see what progress they have made. What have they learnt? Which of them found the advice useful, have made new contacts, uncovered exciting opportunities, changed their minds or found a job? Graduate recruiters comment on the students' progress and tell us what makes an applicant stand out. The students themselves reflect and look forward to the future.
• Arjun - 1st year, Banking and Finance at Loughborough University, who wants to get into finance (7 mins)
• David - 2nd year, Computer Science at Cardiff University, who wants to get into IT (7 mins)
• Gemma - 2nd year, Psychology at Loughborough University, who wants to get into social work (9 mins)
• Harriet - Final year, History at Cardiff University, who wants to get into journalism (11 mins)
• James - Final year, Marketing at Anglia Ruskin University, who wants to get into marketing (14 mins)
• Laura - Graduate, Fashion at University of Derby and Leigh, final year, Fashion at Anglia Ruskin University, who both want to get into fashion (23 mins)
• Martha - Final year, English Literature at Cardiff University, who isn't sure what she wants to do but is considering PR (13 mins)
The DVD also includes quick guides to boosting your employability, covering:
• CVs and applications (13 mins)
• Getting involved in student life (5 mins)
• Networking (9 mins)
• Postgraduate study (5 mins)
• Using your careers service (7 mins)
• Volunteering (8 mins)
• Work experience (9 mins)
The total length is over 2 hours and 20 minutes, divided into short chapters. Subtitles are optional.
The DVD is designed to help graduates and students at all stages of their course. It is an essential resource for any careers service working with HE students or prospective HE students, and for anyone teaching employability skills or with an interest in graduate employment.
The programme was made possible by generous support from Enterprise Rent-A-Car, HSBC and RWE npower, and many other employers and working graduates.
Production date: 2010
How to obtain:
Download the appropriate order form below. Besides ordering single copies of the DVD, AGCAS member services and HE organisations outside the UK and Ireland can also purchase a network streaming licence. Contact Hazel Burdge for further information about licences.
Communities: Yorkshire and Humberside, Wales, South England, Recruiters and Partners, Postgraduate, ICT, Graduate Labour Market, Employability, East Midlands, Diversity, Creative Industries, Careers Information, Careers Education, Careers Advice and Guidance
Audiences: Academics, Careers practitioners , Students and graduates - all, Students and graduates - final year , Students and graduates - first year , Students and graduates - penultimate year , Students and graduates - postgraduate
Format: DVD and Video
AGCAS order form (for use by AGCAS service members only)
- AGCAS products order form (AGCAS member services) (Locked)
AGCAS order form (for non-members)
- AGCAS products order form (71 KB)
If items are locked please check that you are registered and signed in to ensure that you can see all parts of the site to which you have been given access.
Share this with
Quick Text Search
Search Resources A-Z
Top 20 tags
employer job AGCAS employability careers fair Sector University fair graduate labour market Scotland internships international students work experience graduate employment London enterprise agcas task group research skills careers guidance